The town of St. Joe, Arkansas, was originally incorporated in 1904 due to the Missouri and North Arkansas Railroad passing through the area. Its size at the time was 0.75 mile by one mile long. The railroad depot remains standing to this day.
Locals called the town "Old Town." There was a town square, courthouse, blacksmith shop, mills, and other businesses. The town was close to lead mines, and mining played a big part in the town's early history.
What was referred to as the "New Town" was located a bit north of the railroad and anchored by a general store.
In time the town dropped its incorporation. In the late 1990s, there was renewed interest in having an incorporated town. People wanted to have a local government again in order to have local direction of what happened in their lives. Because of a state law requiring a minimum of 175 registered voters in order to incorporate, a new incorporation could not be done. Instead, the charter for what was called the "Old Town" was reactivated.
Since the modern incorporation (or reactivation), people on the edge of the town have asked to be included. The town has grown by over 100 acres.
In early 2011, the town received a grant of just over $10,000 from the Arkansas Rural Community Grant Program. The grant required that the amount be matched locally. Volunteer hours could contribute to the match. The grant was used to restore the historic Missouri and North Arkansas Railroad depot in St. Joe.